The Redeye Complex


Thursday, September 13, 2007
You can take the Guy out of Winnipeg ...

Filmmaker Guy Maddin is interviewed by the Globe and Mail while promoting his new film, a documentary about Winnipeg. In a weird sense of timing, the film coincides as he is relocating himself to Toronto. Mixed emotions for not just him but for journalist Joe Friesen. Both of them have a place in their heart for Winnipeg.

Friesen ...
I've found there's something about Winnipeg that lends itself to civic navel-gazing. Barely a day goes by that I don't think about its strengths and failings - something I didn't do when I lived elsewhere.
Maddin ...
"I'd like to think it's some kind of parapsychically powerful location," he says. "Since Winnipeg has the harshest climate of any city over 100,000, and nobody's leaving, there must be a pretty powerful attraction keeping us here." Or, he offers, maybe it's just laziness and a lack of imagination.

2 comments


Newer Posts Older Posts