The Redeye Complex


Thursday, April 24, 2008
2:42

Speaking of NPR blogs, Carrie Brownstein from Sleater-Kinney writes on Monitor Mix for NPR. A current topic with some neat feedback is 2 minutes 42 seconds - the perfect song length?

Lots of people reply with what's in their music library clocking in at 2:42.

I've always thought the best length for a song was supposed to be under three minutes. One of my favourite 3 minute songs is a version of Matthew Sweet's "Dead Smile" on Kimi Ga Suki Raifu. I found the album on the net before I bought it. "Dead Smile" is the lead track and what struck me was that the first 30 seconds were silence. Then the music crashes in with a great pop song and fades out at three minutes. I thought to myself that only Matthew Sweet could write a pop song in three minutes with 30 seconds of silence starting it off.

Little did I know that my internet version was corrupted. When I eventually bought the album, there was no silent gap starting it off. Oh well. Makes a good story anyway.

0 comments


Newer Posts Older Posts