The Redeye Complex


Monday, November 17, 2008
Couple Canadian films

Saw a couple Canadian films on the weekend. The Saturday evening show of Passchendaele at Grant Park was two-thirds full. Going in, I heard reviews were mixed. I can see why. The film has some huge hurdles to overcome. All that symbolism stuff which actually makes some sense if you catch the references earlier in the film. Really this should have been a mini-series rather than just a feature. Very well made however it really is a toss up if its a war film or a romance. Like the recent "Atonement", it is both. And like that film, the war scenes are extraordinary. Is there room for romance knowing the casualty count. That's a tough film to make.

The Globe cinema screened a doc that will air on Bravo at the end of November. Forty Years of One Night Stands recounts the history of the Royal Winnipeg Ballet. I've lived in Winnipeg all my life and I have never been in contact with the ballet. I know nothing about it. This great doc brings me up to speed and fills me in on what I missed.

2 comments


Newer Posts Older Posts