The Redeye Complex


Sunday, March 21, 2010
everything is virtual

In big geeky news this week, Microsoft announced that the "CPU" requirement for running a virtual XP on Windows 7 has been lifted.

My laptop has an older AMD processor that was NOT on the list to support virtualization. But it works now. And it seems to work quite well.

Running virtual machines in a workplace is common now. I am still trying to figure out how it benefits me at home. It is interesting being able to remote desktop to a virtual machine running on my laptop (on wireless) and being able to access all the peripherals including a dSLR tethered camera on USB.

And there are more options too. I just heard about the Oracle package called VirtualBox. Its really from Sun which was taken over. But at least they are continuing it. And its open source so the community might make it more interesting.

Neat stuff.

0 comments


Newer Posts Older Posts