The Redeye Complex


Monday, March 15, 2010
Final Fantasy XIII

I have not played a FF game for a few revs now. While the new one looks good, I dunno if its on my list of things to waste time to. There is a review in the NYTimes that throws a bit of cold water on it however it does remark about how great it looks.
I recently invited several friends to compare the visual spectacle of the opening sequence of Final Fantasy XIII with the opening sequence of “Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith,” a frantic spaceship battle and chase that has been one of my personal animation benchmarks. Sorry, George Lucas, but it was a unanimous wipeout among my jury. For the moment the only animation that compares with Final Fantasy XIII is in “Avatar.” (And Final Fantasy XIII has better writing and voice acting than that film, though that’s not saying much.)
It does remind me of the jaw dropping moments while watching FF VII on the original Playstation way way back. Good to see the bar being raised on the game side. Now if only they could only figure out the way it works.

0 comments


Newer Posts Older Posts